Roman Catholic

 

Our Lady of Sorrows

(formerly the Capuchin Franciscan Church of our Lady of Seven Dolours)
Bird in Bush Road  SE15 1RH
http://www.rc.net/southwark/peckham

The task of establishing the first Roman Catholic church in Peckham was given to a mission of Capuchin Friars, a branch of the Franciscan Order. As their congregation was not wealthy, the raising of funds was difficult despite contributions from, for example, the King of Naples. A small chapel and school erected in Peckham Park Road in 1855 rapidly proved too small, so in October 1866 the large, new church of brick with ragstone dressings designed by E.W. Pugin was opened with impressive ceremony. In 1874 there were about 3000 Catholics in the district of Peckham.

 

St Thomas the Apostle

81, Evelina Rd, Nunhead  SE15 3HL
www.stthomasnunhead.org.uk

Also funded by the Ellis Bequest.

 

St James the Great

45 Elm Grove  SE15 5DD
www.stjamesthegreatpeckham.org.uk

One of the 13 London churches built with money from the Ellis Bequest, St James was opened for worship in March 1904 and cost £1000.

 

Other Roman Catholic places of worship

There have been at least two convents: Nazareth House, Convent of the Sisters of the Christian Retreat, Gordon Road (1857) and the Marist Convent behind Hollydale Road.